Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Pakistan decides to close Chaman border with Afghanistan for one week

Pakistan decides to close Chaman border with Afghanistan for one week
ISLAMABAD (92 News) – Pakistan has decided to close Pakistan’s border with Afghanistan at Chaman for one week due to fear of the novel coronavirus outbreak on Sunday. It is pertinent to mention here that the federal government took the decision after Kabul confirmed its first case of the coronavirus. The interior ministry issued a notification regarding to closure of the border. According to the notification, the border will remain close for one week starting from Monday (tomorrow March 2). The government has issued a letter with regard to closure of the Pak-Afghan border crossing at Chaman in the first phase. The notification stated that Pakistan’s border with Afghanistan will remain closed from March 02 (Monday) for seven days. The Chaman border crossing will remain closed for seven days in the first phase, the order said. The decision has been taken in view to avoid the outbreak of novel coronavirus, the letter said. The strict precautionary measures have also been put in place in border areas to stop the spread, including the establishment of an isolation ward at DHQ Hospital Parachinar. Sscreening at the Babe-e-Dosti border crossing in Chaman is underway. Medical checkpoints have also been set up at Torkham border for those coming into the country from Afgahnistan's Nangarhar province. Earlier, Pakistan opened the Taftan Border for its citizens trapped in Iran due to fears of spread of coronavirus after five days. After opening of the Immigration Gate, devotees, traders and other people entered Pakistan. The people returning from Iran were shifted to Pakistan House for screening. As many as 7,800 Pakistanis have returned from Iran from February 20 to till now. Of them, 2,100 belong to Quetta. According to the Health Department, over 700 devotees have undergone the screening process. Meanwhile, Balochistan Chief Minister Jam Kamal presided over a meeting which decided to take emergency steps to conduct the medical examination and screening. Provincial ministers Ameer Zahoor Bulaidi and Mir Zia Lango said that the phase-wise return of the devotees is being ensured. Sindh Government Spokesman Murtaza Wahab said that screening of over 600 people coming from Iran to Sindh had been completed. “No new person has tested positive for coronavirus. Citizens should not be worried. Educational institutions would be reopened,” he said. On the other hand, the record of teachers and employees coming from China and Iran has been sought. The Sindh Education Department has decided to conduct tests on all such people.