Thursday, December 2, 2021
اُردُو نیوز Newspaper Live-TV(UK) Live-TV(PK)
اُردُو نیوز Newspaper
Live-TV(UK) Live-TV(PK)

Pakistan expresses grief over loss of lives in Thailand

Pakistan expresses grief over loss of lives in Thailand
February 9, 2020
ISLAMABAD (92 News) – Pakistan has expressed deep grief and sorrow over the loss of precious human lives in a tragic shooting incident in Thailand on Sunday. In a statement, Foreign Office (FO) spokesperson Aisha Farooqui said that the government and people of Pakistan are deeply saddened at the tragic loss of life in Korat, Thailand. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to the innocent victims of the incident," she added. In her tweet, the FO spokesperson conveyed deepest condolences and sympathies to the bereaved families and support for the people and Government of Thailand.
Thai soldier who killed 26 shot dead in shopping mall siege
Thai security forces shot and killed a rogue soldier who went on a rampage in a shopping mall in a northeastern city, ending an overnight siege after a series of attacks that left at least 26 people dead. Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul confirmed the soldier had been shot dead at the Terminal 21 mall in the city of Nakhon Ratchasima. “Thank you police and army for ending the situation. Shooter shot dead!!!” Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said in a post on Facebook. Police and the army also said he had been killed. Police have identified the suspected shooter as 32-year-old soldier Jakrapanth Thomma. The killings began at around 3pm (0800 GMT) on Saturday when the soldier opened fire in a house before moving to an army camp and then to the mall, posting messages on Facebook as he went. Thai media said the suspected shooter had worked at an army base close to Nakhon Ratchasima, which is about 250 km (155 miles) from the capital Bangkok. Before the attack, Jakrapanth had posted on his Facebook account that he was out for vengeance — but he did not say for what. A provincial health official told a news conference that a total of 20 people had been killed and 42 wounded, revising down an earlier figure of 21 dead given by other officials.
“We don’t know why he did this. It appears he went mad,” Defence Ministry spokesman Kongcheep Tantrawanit told Reuters. Overnight, soldiers and police stormed into the mall and escorted hundreds of trapped people to safety. “It was frightening because I could hear the occasional gunsho…we waited a long time for the police to come and help us, many hours,” said Suvanarat Jirattanasakul, 27, her voice trembling after she emerged. The mall was busy with shoppers on a long weekend for the Buddhist Makha Bucha holiday. CCTV footage from inside the mall posted on social media showed the gunman dressed in black and wearing a mask, his gun slung over his shoulder with no sign of other people around. Facebook (FB.O) said it had removed the suspect’s account.