LAHORE (92 News) – An inquiry into the Tezgam train fire incident has revealed that the incident occurred due to short-circuit in the electric wiring of the train, rejecting earlier reports of a cylinder blast.
According to the report, the fire was caused by short-circuit in the wiring of an electric kettle in the train’s illegal kitchen in bogie number 11 and 12, which later spread to the entire bogies due to cylinder.
The report held responsible dining car manager and waiters for making illegal kitchen in bogie no 11 and 12. Due to negligence, the deputy divisional superintendent, commercial officer, station house officer of the railway police, head constable, constable and reservation staff also held responsible.
“There was no electricity in the bogie 12 and an illegal connection was given to it from adjoining bogie-11,” it said adding that as soon as the short-circuit occurred, the entire bogie 12 was filled with smoke making it difficult for the commuters to understand the situation.
The people alleged in the report were already removed from their posts. The secretary Railways has approved the inquiry report.
Earlier, Federal Minister for Railways Sheikh Rasheed said that Tezgam tragedy
occurred due to cylinder and stove blast.
In a statement over train incident, the minister said that the fire was erupted in train’s economy class by a cylinder and stove blast that occurred in the morning 6:45 when passengers belonging to a Tableeghi Jamaat were preparing their breakfast.
At least 74 passengers
were killed and several injured when an Tezgam Express train caught fire near the city area of Liaquatpur in Rahim Yar Khan on Thursday.
According to the reports, several passengers burnt alive as three bogies of Tezgam Express caught fire near Talwari Station in Liaquatpur area.