LAHORE (92 News) – World AIDS Day is being observed on Sunday to raise awareness about HIV/AIDS and express solidarity with people living with the pandemic.
The day is an opportunity for public and private partners to spread awareness about the status of the pandemic and encourage progress in HIV/AIDS prevention, treatment and care around the world. This year theme of World AIDS DAY is Communities make the difference.
In his message pertaining to the day, the UN Secretary General António Guterres said we need to harness the role of community-led organizations that advocate for their peers, deliver HIV services, defend human rights and provide support.
It is pertinent to mention here that December 1 is celebrated as World AIDS Day every year all over the world. The main motto behind celebrating the day is to raise public awareness about AIDS. Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome, is a pandemic disease caused due to the infection of Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), which causes damage to the immune system.
World AIDS Day was first observed in 1988. And each year, different organisations across the world bring attention to the HIV epidemic, endeavour to increase HIV awareness and knowledge. According to World Health Organisation, "37.9 million people living with HIV at the end of 2018, 79 percent received testing, 62 percent received treatment, and 53 percent had achieved suppression of the HIV virus with reduced risk of infecting others."
The medical sciences found treatments for HIV, and various formulas have been also taken to fight against discrimination and to safeguard HIV patients with proper treatments. Still, there are millions of HIV patients, who still do not have access to tests, treatments and medications for HIV. So it is important to observe the day. It will act as a reminder for all that HIV still exists and we need to fight together to end this the disease. This year the theme for the World Aids Day 2019 is "Ending the HIV/AIDS Epidemic: Community by Community"
WORLD AIDS DAY 2019: HERE ARE SOME INSPIRING QUOTES
- "Never, never, never give up." -Winston Churchill
- "Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does." -William James
- "It is never too late to give up our prejudices." -Henry David Thoreau
- "The most important thing in illness is never to lose heart." -Nikolai Lenin
- "Every action of your life touches on some chord that will vibrate in eternity." -Edwin Hubbell Chapin
- "Dare to reach out your hand into the darkness, to pull another hand into the light." -Norman B. Rice
- "It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." -Elizabeth Taylor