Australia among several federations set to reject Davis Cup revamp
LONDON (Reuters) – A planned radical revamp of the Davis Cup could be in jeopardy after Tennis Australia said in a strongly worded letter that it planned to “vote against the proposed amendments” since the reform process has been “far from transparent”.
The International Tennis Federation (ITF) had been hoping its proposal to transform the 118-year-old men’s competition into an 18-team season finale would be given the green light at its Aug. 13 to 16 AGM in Orlando, Florida.
But Tennis Australia said in the letter, addressed to the “President, Board and CEOs of Davis Cup Nations” and seen by Reuters, that it would not endorse the ITF’s World Cup of Tennis Finals, which will replace the Davis Cup and be played in one location over seven days scheduled for November 2019.
Tennis Australia said there was no clarity over the 25-year, $3 billion (2.31 billion pounds) partnership to stage the event with investment group Kosmos, which was founded by Barcelona and Spain soccer player Gerard Pique, and described by the ITF as a ‘game-changer’.
The letter has been signed by Tennis Australia CEO Craig Tiley plus several former Australia Davis Cup captains as well as incumbent Lleyton Hewitt.