Court again postpones verdict on Nandipur power project case till March 8
ISLAMABAD (92 News) – Accountability Court Judge Arshad Malik once again postponed the verdict on the plea former law minister Babar Awan seeking acquittal in the Nandipur power project case till March 8.
The verdict will be announced after hearing more arguments. Babar Awan faces the charge of causing a loss of Rs 27 billion to the national exchequer.
Earlier during the hearing, Judge Arshad Malik remarked that surely the delay has been proved in the Nandipur Power Project.
He also said that time is required to check the records and verify that the former law minister is responsible for this delay or not.
The court had reserved the verdict of Nandipur Power Project case. Dr Awan informed the court that he was not the law minister when two summaries had been sent to the Ministry of Law. “The new law minister did not even grant an approval after I left. Approvals are the law secretary’s responsibility and not the minister’s.”
He accepted that the Nandipur project was not completed but alleged that a corruption reference was initiated against him selectively.
Relaying his arguments to the court, the NAB prosecutor informed that the Rehmat Hussain Jafri commission’s report is present. “The law minister did issue one form that was required. The entire blame is on the incompetency level of the law ministry during Dr Awan’s tenure.”
Upon hearing this, Judge Malik had remarked that this is such a small issue.
Presenting his arguments before the court, the counsel for former PM Ashraf had said, “Before a charge sheet is filed, all the convicts are supposed to provide all the relevant documents.”
His lawyer further added that he had wanted to present some reports to the court before a decision pertaining to the case is made. Hearing was adjourned till February 20 after Judge Malik reserved the verdict.