Ferrari CEO expects fully-electric car after 2025
MARANELLO, Italy (Reuters) – Ferrari will issue its first fully electric model after 2025, with battery technology still requiring more development, Chief Executive Louis Camilleri said.
Ferrari has previously said a fully electric vehicle would be launched after the current industrial plan ends in 2022. Analysts have said they do not expect it before 2023.
Camilleri said Ferrari was “certainly” studying a fully electric grand tourer car (GT), but that it would stick to hybrid vehicles for the “current foreseeable future”.
“My sense is the electric will come out after 2025. The battery technology is not where it should be yet,” he told reporters in embargoed comments made during a lunch on Wednesday in the Centro Stile at Ferrari’s Maranello factory.
“There are still significant issues in terms of autonomy, in terms of speed of recharging. So eventually we will come out with one. But it’s post-2025. Not in the short term,” he added.
Earlier, “Ford v Ferrari” left its box office competitors in the dust as Disney’s historical sports drama sped its way to $31 million in North America.
Directed by James Mangold and starring Christian Bale and Matt Damon, “Ford v Ferrari” debuted ahead of expectations, thanks to strong word-of-mouth from moviegoers. However, those ticket sales weren’t enough to offset disappointing starts from fellow high-profile newcomers, “Charlie’s Angels” and “The Good Liar,” pushing the domestic box office down over 6% from last year, according to Comscore.
Sony’s action comedy “Charlie’s Angels” sputtered out of the gate with an uninspiring $8.6 million, landing in third place behind Lionsgate’s war drama “Midway” ($8.75 million) and just ahead of Paramount’s family film “Playing With Fire” ($8.5 million). Meanwhile, Warner Bros.’ thriller “The Good Liar” barely cracked the top 10, collecting just $5.6 million from 2,439 theatres.
“Ford v Ferrari” enticed a mostly older male crowd: Men accounted for 62% of ticket buyers, while nearly 80% were over the age of 25. Audiences awarded the film with a rare A+ CinemaScore, a sign that the racing drama should have a long life in theatres. Produced by Chernin Entertainment, the movie carries a $100 million price tag and will need a boost from international moviegoers to turn a profit. “Ford v Ferrari” launched with $21 million at the foreign box office this weekend, lifting its global tally to $52.4 million.