Firefighters gain ground on Southern California wildfire
Officials said firefighters were able to carve containment lines around 26 percent of the blaze as of Friday morning – up from 4 percent a day earlier – in dry, hot and windy weather conditions and treacherous terrain.
On Friday, damage assessment teams in the field were tallying the number of homes and other buildings destroyed in the blaze, fire information officer Mike Lopez said.
A San Bernardino County Fire Department spokesman said earlier this week that dozens of structures were destroyed.
The intensely burning blaze, which has produced cyclone-like whirls of flame, continued to threaten some 34,500 homes and other structures in communities including the ski resort town of Wrightwood, fire officials said.
More than 80,000 residents were told to evacuate their homes on Tuesday.
While many residents opted to stay put, the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Office said deputies arrested three people suspected of attempting to loot from the abandoned homes of evacuees.
Transit authorities on Thursday reopened Interstate 15, the primary traffic route between greater Los Angeles and Las Vegas, Nevada, after it was closed for two days by the fast-moving blaze.
The Blue Cut fire is one of nearly 30 major blazes reported to have scorched some hundreds of square miles in eight Western states this week, in the midst of a wildfire season stoked by prolonged drought and unusually hot weather, according to the National Interagency Fire Center in Boise, Idaho. –Reuters