IHK remains under curfew as death toll reaches 30

11 Jul, 2016 12:28 pm

SRINAGAR (92 News) – Life in Indian-held Kashmir (IHK) continues to remain paralyzed following heightened tension over the death of 30 people, including a policeman, during widespread protests across the Valley against the killing of Hurriyet leader Burhan Wani.

Clashes continue in many parts of Indian-held Kashmir as young men defy prohibitory orders and protest on the streets, often indulging in stone-pelting.

Police stations, offices and dozens of vehicles were destroyed during the protests. A total of 102 civilians and 100 security personnel were injured in the bloody clashes.

It is feared if things are not quickly brought under control, Kashmir could be in the throws of another bloody unrest when in 2010, 112 protesters died in clashes with security forces.

Kashmiri leaders, including Syed Ali Geelani and Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, have been placed under detention. The state government on Sunday requested them to help normalise the situation.

Previously, Clashes broke out between locals and security forces as news of Wani’s death on Friday spread, with 12 people dying in the violence on Saturday.


Five people died on Sunday during fresh clashes or sustained injuries, while curfew has been imposed in the entire Valley by the Indian authorities. Shops, banks and other offices were closed in Srinagar, as Indian troops patrolled the streets outside.

Police said they halted traffic on the main highway connecting the state to the rest of India and officials said train services had been temporarily halted in the area. Mobile Internet services were blocked across some parts of the state and cell phone service was interrupted in others.

Wani, the son of a school headmaster, regularly posted video messages online, dressed in military fatigues and inviting young men to join struggle for freedom. Hurriyat leaders have called for a strike and three days of mourning.




Latest Videos