IOC suspends India host applications after Pakistanis denied visas
NEW DELHI (92 News) – The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has decided to “suspend all discussions” with India regarding hosting of global sporting events after Pakistani shooters were not issued visas for the World Cup in New Delhi.
According to the details, after suspending all Indian applications, IOC now wants other global sports bodies to follow suit.
It is pertinent to mention here that India has started blame game against Pakistan after a suicide Pulwama attack in Indian-held Jammu Kashmir last week that killed 40 paramilitary soldiers.
“This situation goes against the Fundamental Principles of the Olympic Charter,” the IOC said in a statement.
“Despite last minute joint efforts by the IOC, the Indian National Olympic Committee and shooting governing body the ISSF, no solution has been found to allow the Pakistani delegation to enter India in time to compete,” it added.
“Equal treatment must be guaranteed for all participating athletes and sporting delegations at international sports events, without any form of discrimination or political interference from the host country,” the statement said.
Beyond the shooting competition, the international committee said it was suspending all discussions on potential future hosting of Olympic-related events in India until it received written guarantees from the government that the country would comply with IOC rules.
The IOC said it was also advising federations to neither award to nor hold sports events in India until the above-mentioned guarantees are obtained.
Sixteen qualifying places for the Tokyo Games were to be decided at the opening shooting World Cup event in New Delhi. ISSF president Vladimir Lisin said these would now go to other qualifying events.
“The quotas will be distributed at another World Cup. No one can be discriminated against and we have to follow the IOC decision,” he added.
Over 500 shooters are taking part in the Indian event, for which competition starts on Saturday.