Kashmir shuts down following civilian killings

29 Mar, 2017 3:16 pm

SRINAGAR (92 News) – In Occupied Kashmir, a complete shutdown is being observed today (Wednesday) against the killing of Kashmiri youth by Indian army and police in Kashmir.

Life was affected in Kashmir due to a shutdown called by the Hurriyet leadership comprising Syed Ali Gilani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Muhammad Yasin Malik yesterday demanding a probe by a neutral body into the killings in the territory.

All shops, schools, petrol pumps and offices remain closed. The strike call also impacted the inter-state railway services as the authorities suspended the services for security reasons.

Meanwhile, educational institutions have postponed all the examinations scheduled for today in view of the general strike.

The puppet authorities have also imposed curfew like restrictions in Old City of Srinagar.

Hurriyet forum chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq said that the oppression and persecution of innocent Kashmiris by the Indian forces in the territory had forced the Kashmiri youth to choose the path of armed struggle for the liberation of their motherland.


He asked India to give up its obduracy and respect the political aspirations of the Kashmiri people.

At least three civilians had been killed during protests in India-held Kashmir after police targeted a home where a suspected rebel was holed up.

About 28 people were also injured in Tuesday’s demonstration that followed a gun battle at the home in the southern town of Chadoora, where the suspected fighter was killed, police and witnesses said.




Latest Videos

Oops, something went wrong.