Life at standstill in Kashmir for 79th day of unrest

25 Sep, 2016 1:19 pm

SRINAGAR (92 News) – Indian authorities continue to impose curfew and other restrictions throughout the Occupied Kashmir and in Chenab Valley including Kishtwar district on the 79th straight day on Sunday.

A large number of police and paramilitary personnel were deployed in strength in all districts of the Kashmir Valley including Srinagar to prevent protest rallies and march called by the joint Hurriyet leadership.

“Police arrested Imam Umar Mohalla Masjif Maulvi Abdul Qayoom Matoo, Saif Ud Din Bagwan and Firdous Ahmad Bagwan from their residences in Umar Mohalla and Bagwan Mohalla at around 1:30 am,” sources said.

Reports said that both Matoo and Saif Ud Din have been sent to Kot Balwal jail in Jammu while Firdous is still lodged at Kistwar police station. Sources added that police later raided the residence of Imam Bunistan Masjid, Qari Manzoor Hussain Ganai but he was not present in his home.

The Valley is on a boil following the killing Burhan Wani in an encounter with security forces on July 8. More than 80 persons and thousands others have been injured in the clashes that began on July 9.

More than 100 people have been killed and around 6,000 injured in the ensuing clashes, many of them wounded by shotgun rounds fired by Indian troops enforcing a curfew across the valley.

With more than two months unrest showing no signs of ending, local authorities have warned people against venturing out in the night and have also instructed shops and businesses to remain shut.

Previously, in occupied Kashmir, six civilians including a boy were killed and several others injured due to the firing of Indian forces on peaceful protesters in Srinagar, Budgam and Islamabad districts.

Five protesters were killed after security forces fired on protesters in Beerwah area of Budgam district. Another youth from Anantnag district of South Kashmir died during clashes with the security forces today. Dozens of people have been injured in the protests.

With these killings, the death toll in the ongoing Kashmir Intifada has risen to 80 in the past 39 days. The intifada was triggered by the extra-judicial killing of Burhan Wani, on July 8, this year.

Must Watch