LAHORE (92 News) – The Election Commission on Monday dismissed the petition of Muttahida Qabail Party (MQP) seeking delay in general elections.
Earlier during the day while hearing the petitions requesting a delay in the general election scheduled for July 25, the chief election commissioner had reserved his verdict. The ECP announced the reserved verdict during the hearing headed by Chief Election Commissioner (CEC).
During the hearing, MQP’s lawyer barrister Farogh Naseem adopted stance that if the elections are held on July 25, 15 per cent seats of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa assembly will remain vacant and provincial government will be formed due to polling on remaining 85 per cent seats.
The lawyer maintained that the temperature will be higher in July and turn out will be low. “The petitions of South Punjab for delaying the elections are also a part of this plea,” he said.
“How are the petitions of South Punjab connected to the situation in FATA?” inquired the CEC. “In winters, many areas will be quite cold while it will be monsoon in July,” he remarked. After hearing the arguments, the ECP dismissed all three petitions calling for a delay in the general election.
On the other hand, Muttahida Qabail Party (MQP) members marched from D-Chowk to NADRA Chowk in the federal capital and presented their demands before the media and public. The protestors said that their demand is genuine and they will not move anywhere until and unless the ECP addresses their genuine concerns.
They also warned that the sit-in will not be called off until the ECP accepts their constitutional demands. They said that they will march to the office of the ECP so that they want to be heard.
The MQP vice-chairman, though, was far more vocal and said that if general elections cannot be held in Fata with the rest of the country, the elections can be delayed in the country to accommodate the tribal region.
92 News (also known as 92 News HD Plus (Channel 92) is a conservative Urdu language TV channel based in Lahore, Pakistan.
Mian Muhammad Hanif is the chairman of the channel.
This TV channel is a subsidiary of Madinah Group under Galaxy Media Group.
The channel's name, 92, is to celebrate the 1992 Cricket World Cup won by Pakistan. The number 92 is also the telephone country calling code of Pakistan, which is another major reason behind the channel's name.
92 News HD is Pakistan’s first HD Plus News Channel. Aims to bring credible & responsible News & important stories from Pakistan & around the World
We bring you Latest Pakistani and International News at 92News Hd Plus to Read and Watch
We believe in genuine and true journalism, we do not prevail sensation just for ratings.
We do not hide news but never tend to add any unethical content or angling that goes against the norms of our religion Islam and Pakistan's culture.