Nawaz bought London flats with embezzled money: NAB prosecutor

08 Jun, 2018 4:22 pm

ISLAMABAD (92 News) – National Accountability Bureau Deputy Prosecutor General Sardar Muzaffar Abbasi said on Friday that former prime minister Nawaz Sharif bought Avenfield properties with embezzled money.

While presenting his concluding arguments on the fourth day in Avenfield reference against Sharif family, the NAB deputy prosecutor said that when a public office holder bought properties with embezzled money, however, he did not kept ownership of property on his name.

He argued that Nawaz Sharif was real owner of London flats and he transferred the ownership to his children. He said that as per indictment he performed his duty. The Avenfield reference, pertaining to the Sharifs’ London properties, is among three filed against the family by NAB last year on the Supreme Court’s directives.

The Nab prosecutor concluded his arguments on fourth day. He said that according to the report before 2007 Calibri font was not available for commercial use. Radley report claimed that the documents were fake which was presented by Nawaz Sharif as proof. He further said that the Qatri prince and Sharif family were not challenged the London High Court verdict.

The deputy prosecutor general said Nawaz’s statements were presented in the court as evidence from the prosecution, which meant to prove that public office holders do not keep illegally earned assets in their name. He added they have presented direct proofs of Nawaz being actual owner of the London flats.

The NAB official said all the accused, of the Sharif family, admitted to owning the properties but their statements differed when it came to the source with which the flats were bought.


Speaking further about the evidence on ownership of London flats; Abbasi said even Hussain Nawaz admitted to owning the properties during an interview. At the previous hearing held a day earlier, Abbasi said Hussain shifted to the London flats in 1993 and even paid the utility bills, while Hasan moved there in 1994.

The two brothers, based abroad, have been absconding since the proceedings began last year and were declared proclaimed offenders by the court. Their trial in the high-profile corruption case has been separated from other family members’ owing to their continued absence.

Sardar Muzafar further said that none is mad who kept the embezzled money. He explained that the embezzled money always kept on the name of wife or children. The court adjourned the case till Monday.




Latest Videos