Life remains paralyzed in Kashmir Valley, curfew enters day 34

11 Aug, 2016 3:40 pm

SRINAGAR (92 News) – Curfew and protest shutdown on Thursday continued in Indian-held Kashmir for the 34th consecutive day. Restrictions will continue in Pulwama, Kulgam, Shopian and Anantnag towns on Thursday.

Life remained paralysed as curfew entered 34th day, with separatists extending their shutdown call in Pulwama, Kulgam and parts of Shopian districts. Shutdown is also being observed in Doda, Banihal and Kishtwar regions of the state.

The Valley has been on the boil since Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani was killed in an encounter by security forces on July 8.

A curfew-like restriction under will also continue in areas under five old City Police Stations and areas under Batmaloo Police Station in uptown Srinagar and Central Kashmir’s Gandarbal town. Earlier, fresh clashes erupted in the Valley killing three men, raising the death toll to 53.

The Indian government had put restrictions in place in various old Srinagar areas to thwart the Friday protests in the city.

All educational institutions, shops, public transport and other business establishments have remained closed for the last 33 days in Kashmir, although interior markets in cities and towns have been functioning briefly in the evenings.

Previously, protests erupted over the killing of Burhan Wani, a charismatic young Hurriyet leader from Kashmir who was shot dead by Indian security forces the previous day.

Tens of thousands attended Wani’s funeral march from 5am on Saturday in his hometown of Tral, despite police warnings to stay at home, and street protests quickly spread across the valley. In ensuing clashes, security forces fired live ammunition at protesters.

Mobile phone networks have been shut down across the heavily militarized valley, while shops and offices are closed and public transport is suspended.

Amid fears of further escalation on Monday night, a grenade attack injured three policemen outside Srinigar, and another officer was taken hostage by a mob demanding the release of three youths arrested earlier for stone-throwing.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif had condemned India’s crackdown on civilian protesters and resulting deaths, while he described Wani, 22, a commander of the Hizbul Mujahedeen group, as a “Kashmiri leader.”

Must Watch