Shutdown, curbs continue in IHK on 82nd day

28 Sep, 2016 1:02 pm

SRINAGAR (92 News) – Normal life continued to be crippled as shutdown and restrictions by the Indian authorities continued in India-held Kashmir on the 82nd consecutive day on Wednesday.

Kashmir is in the middle of its worst unrest in six years since July 08, following the death of Burhan Wani, while in over 10 weeks of protests, more than 100 innocent Kashmiris have been killed and thousands wounded.

The Hurriyet leaders accused the Indian security forces of using excessive force, have extended their shutdown call. The current program is scheduled to last till September 29.

Markets, schools and colleges remained shut and residents stayed indoors in Srinagar – summer capital of India’s northern Jammu and Kashmir state. Little traffic was seen on the roads.

The Valley is on a boil following the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani in an encounter with security forces on July 8. More than 80 persons and thousands others have been injured in the clashes that began on July 9.

More than 100 people have been killed and around 6,000 injured in the ensuing clashes, many of them wounded by shotgun rounds fired by Indian troops enforcing a curfew across the valley.

With more than two months of unrest showing no signs of ending, local authorities have warned people against venturing out in the night and have also instructed shops and businesses to remain shut.

The youth at many places in Srinagar took to roads to protest the continued civilian killings. Chanting pro-freedom and anti-India slogans, the protestors clashed with the cops, who fired tear smoke shells and resorted to baton charge to disperse them.

Chanting anti-India and pro-freedom slogans, they protested against the ongoing civilian killings in Kashmir and demanded an end to such killings. People in Hajin area of Bandipora staged nocturnal protests to protest against the bullet injuries to youth in forces action.

The clashes between youth and security personnel were also reported from some areas in North Kashmir. A peaceful pro-freedom march was taken out from Jamia Masjid Sopore. It was attended by hundreds of people. The participants waved Pakistani flag and placards seeking solution to Kashmir issue. The march culminated peacefully at Chanakhan.

Previously, in occupied Kashmir, six civilians including a boy were killed and several others injured due to the firing of Indian forces on peaceful protesters in Srinagar, Budgam and Islamabad districts.

Five protesters were killed after security forces fired on protesters in Beerwah area of Budgam district. Another youth from Anantnag district of South Kashmir died during clashes with the security forces today. Dozens of people have been injured in the protests.

Must Watch