Worldwide coronavirus death toll crosses 42,000
WASHINGTON (92 News/Web Desk) – The death toll of coronavirus (COVID-19) has crossed to 42,000 worldwide and officials in some countries say the worst still lies ahead.
According to the latest data of the center, there are more than 858,000 confirmed cases globally, with 42000 deaths.
Italy has reported more than 12,428 deaths, followed by Spain more than 7,000 with 728 deaths in a single day.
Al Jazeera reported that the death toll in the US from the new coronavirus outbreak has surpassed the official tally in China, with more than more 3,400 fatalities recorded, according to data collected by the Johns Hopkins University.
That means the US now has the third highest death toll after Italy and Spain, and the highest number of coronavirus cases in the world with more than 175,000.
Further restrictions on movement are being considered in the US to curb the spread of the virus, with the country now reporting twice the number of cases as China where the outbreak began late last year.
Meanwhile, Spain, the United Kingdom and France each reported their biggest overnight jump in deaths since the start of the pandemic.
Around the world, more than 820,000 people have been confirmed to have the virus, and at least 174,000 have recovered. More than 40,000 people have died.
Here are the latest updates.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres warned that the world faces the most challenging crisis since World War II, confronting a pandemic threatening people in every country, one that will bring a recession “that probably has no parallel in the recent past.”
There is also a risk that the combination of the disease and its economic impact will contribute to “enhanced instability, enhanced unrest, and enhanced conflict,” the UN chief said at the launch of a report on the socioeconomic impacts of COVID-19.
Oman’s health ministry reported its first death from coronavirus, a 72-year-old Omani man, state TV said on Twitter. Oman reported as of March 31, 192 coronavirus cases in the sultanate.
Qatar’s Hamad International Airport has temporarily reduced the number of employees onsite by 40%, with most working from home or on annual leave, a Qatar Airways spokesman said.
“In a press conference earlier today, we confirmed that there had been a temporary reduction of 40% of staff at Hamad International Airport across various areas including food and beverage, retail and ground staff,” the spokesman told Reuters news agency.
“This is purely a short-term response to the COVID-19 crisis and the reduction in passenger numbers through the airport.”
A 13-year-old boy in London who tested positive for coronavirus has died, a UK hospital said.
“Sadly, a 13-year old boy who tested positive for COVID-19 has passed away, and our thoughts and condolences are with the family at this time,” King’s College Hospital said in a statement. “The death has been referred to the coroner and no further comment will be made.”