Zainab murder case: ATC remands accused in police custody for 14 days

24 Jan, 2018 4:53 pm

LAHORE (92 News) – Anti-Terrorism Court Judge Sheikh Sajjad remanded the main accused Imran in the police custody for 14 days.

The police had sought the 15-day remand of the accused.

The accused, who will now be presented on February 15, was kept in the anti-terrorism cell throughout the night.

Imran faces the charges of killing eight girls, including Zainab. He was produced in court amid tight security. The police also submitted the DNA and polygraph reports to the court.

On the court order, the veil was removed from the face of the accused. The court questioned about the beard of the accused.

The police told the court that the accused had his beard cut after the incident. “What is the legal status of polygraph test?” the court questioned. The investigation officer told court that polygraph experts will record their statements before the court.

On Tuesday, Police apprehended the prime accused in the brutal rape and murder of minor seven-year-old Zainab in Kasur. The suspect was identified as Imran Ali, a resident of Kasur’s Road Kot area.

According to the police, Imran Ali confessed to having raped and killed seven-year-old Zainab during the interrogation. Imran Ali was originally detained by authorities during the initial stages of the investigation but was later let go for lack of evidence at that time.

The initial DNA samples of the prime suspect were sent to forensic laboratory in Lahore along with 1,050 other samples. The lab reports confirmed that Imran’s DNA sample matched with the traces that were collected from Zainab’s body.

Zainab Ameen  was found dead in a rubbish dump after several days of her disappearance. An autopsy revealed she had been brutally abused and strangled to death.

Her rape and murder earlier this month sent a shock wave across the country. The incident had drawn a wide public outcry.

Zainab’s rape and murder had prompted widespread protests not just in Kasur but across the country, with mobs going violent against the police and lawmakers in some areas. Following that, the Punjab government had set up a special joint investigation team to find the murderer.

Must Watch